Are you tired of staring at the same old kitchen? Have you just bought a new house and want to give it a new ‘you’ look? You could go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and do it yourself. But maybe you don’t have the time. In that case you could consider using a contracting service, but those are expensive. Fear not friends there is a much easier way to add a new look to your kitchen!
Put away the checkbook or for the do it yourself types put away the hammer. In order to completely remodel your kitchen through resurfacing all you need is your favorite color finish. By resurfacing your countertops and drawers you will add a new look to your kitchen. Just by simply retouching or totally changing the color of your kitchen it will surprise you by how much better it will look.
- If you are in the situation where you don’t need to redo your current tops, changing your kitchen can be quick! Lets say that for example you have no chips in your wood, all you need is a new bucket of paint. If your kitchen is white and you want to paint it yellow, than grab some white paint and get to work.
- It is recommended that you chose high quality paint. Choosing the right type of paint will ensure the continuing safety of your countertops. Furthermore the wrong type of paint can remove the vinyl protective layer already on your countertop. It is of the writer’s opinion that you don’t use grained effect paint. This type of paint often leaves customers disappointed. There is nothing worse than buying paint only for it to not appear as it does on the can!
- Another inexpensive way to change the look of your kitchen is by changing the handles or door hinges. If you have a squeaky door hinge replace it. This will make your cabinets feel as good as new. Furthermore if you have acracked or just plain old handle replace that as well. Some neat handles will make a world of difference in your new kitchen.
- If you have the money or just plain desire to do it, a better way to change the color of your kitchen is to change the doors. Most cabinet companies will not only install your new doors but also remove your old doors for you.
- You can also go to your local large chain hardware store and select your own new doors and install them yourself. Before you go get your new cabinet doors please make sure to measure them! Also when changing your doors you will need to change the cabinet laminates as well. There are multiple stores and services that should have premade ones or be able to manufacture ones especially for your new door covers.
So far this article has covered how to give your kitchen a new feel if your countertops are not cracked. But what do you do if they are? Some people have tried to resurface their countertops with Formica or tiles.
- Tiles have had limited success for many people. Tiles generally tend to be hard which can be dangerous for children or your glassware. Replacing your countertops can be difficult.
- You have to walk a fine line between aesthetically pleasing and functional. What good is it to have a beautiful countertop that also is easily chipped? You also need your countertop to be hygienic; I mean it’s for cooking anyways right? An expensive but very effective way to refinish your countertops is with quartz or corian.
It is recommended that you get a professional to do this for you though as it is a very delicate and laborious process. If you want to really fix up your kitchen the best way to do it is to replace your countertops, cabinet doors and splash back.
Everyone gets tired of his or her kitchen at one time or another. By following the suggestions outlined in this article you should be well on your way to remodeling your kitchen. Good luck and remember to be safe!
- License: Creative Commons image source
Mark Phillips writes on behalf of Granite Transformations; if you’re looking for quality kitchen resurfacing through best professionals please visit us.