Buying solid oak furniture can be a fantastic investment that when looked after properly, can last a lifetime and be passed down through several generations. Although not the cheapest, oak is probably the most hard wearing and durable wood for furniture – it is virtually indestructible and quite easy to take care of. Not only that but it is attractive and offers an elegant looking grain which can bring a warm glow to your home. The following are just a few tips to consider when buying solid oak furniture.
- Price – Solid oak is one of the more expensive materials for furniture. The saying ‘you get what you pay for’ definitely rings true with oak furniture. As already mentioned, it is strong and resilient, and is even resistant to water. Therefore oak will last longer than virtually any other furniture. And so you need to consider your budget and what you can afford. Solid oak furniture will be the most expensive; however you can also buy furniture with an oak veneer. This is a layer of genuine oak over a softer wood, giving the same attractive look as real oak but without the strength of solid oak. Oak veneer is of course cheaper, but over time can warp and bubble. It is nowhere near as tough or long lasting.
- Craftsmanship – It is important to consider the craftsmanship and how the furniture is put together as this plays an important role in how strong the item will be. Obviously this is difficult to do when buying furniture online, but if you are buying from a shop take the time to inspect the furniture carefully before buying. Check if traditional joining methods are used or just glue. Look at what type of handles are used. If there are drawers are the sliders good quality?
- Color – With regards to color you can purchase light oak or dark oak. Dark oak has a beautiful rich dark color that is usually associated with this wood, but can be overpowering if used in a smaller room. Light oak tends to bring out the pattern more and is often used in a more ‘Old World’ décor style.Remember light oak can actually be stained to dark if you ever decide to decorate using a different color scheme.
- Delivery and installation –Solid Oak Furniture can be particularly heavy so make sure you factor in any extra delivery costs, and make sure you have the necessary help you might need to install the furniture in its chosen resting place.
- Shop around – Particularly if you are buying online there are numerous options available to you. Check out all the top shops, look at their delivery timescale (you may have to wait a few weeks before your furniture is ready), look at prices, quality, style and much more. Eventually you will find the perfect furniture piece to add elegance and sophistication to your home.
This article was written by Jon Dunn of i-Fluid Media on behalf of Oak Furniture Solutions. Oak Furniture Solutions are the UK’s leading supplier of quality oak bedroom furniture for the home.