Every business – whether online or brick and mortar – needs to keep careful records of their assets. However, asset management is especially important for small, online businesses where a company’s limit resources means something could be overlooked.
Whether you are tracking IT assets, cars, or beauty supplies, keeping all your important assets in check can make or break your business. Shopping for the perfect asset management solution can be a daunting task. We’d like to make that process a bit easier!
Before whipping out the company credit card, here are a few questions to ask yourself.
1. How easy will it be to implement this new system? Compare and contrast between various solutions, taking in mind the amount of training your staff will need, if you are getting enough bang for your buck, and how time consuming it will be to learn the new process. Look for asset management solutions that offer live demonstrations or limited trials (one month free trial, for example).
2. What do you really need? Aren’t car salesmen wonderful at their jobs? You went onto the car lot looking for just a bare-bones car and left with all the bells and whistles. Asset management software is the same way. Don’t get caught up in the appeal of a ton of “extras” – you’ll just end up spending money on stuff you don’t need. Make a list of features you can’t live without; when the time comes, stick to your list and avoid turning wants into needs.
3. How mobile is this option? Not all asset management solutions are created equally. Make sure the product you choose will meet your needs. Will you be able to make updates on the road or need to wait until you arrive at the office?
4. How will this new solution integrate with your current method of management? There are two components to consider – hardware and software. Will your current computer and operating system support the new solution? How are you currently managing your assets? Is there a way to import your data to the new version?
5. What will it really cost? You might not get a final price until the ink dries on your first bill. However, you can get a pretty good idea by asking for a quote that includes everything you will need. Don’t forget to include things like per-seat software licenses, hardware add-ons (like barcode scanners), technical support contracts, and training.
It will take lots of time and research to find an asset management solution to meet your company’s needs. However, it will be well worth it!
- License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://officeimg.vo.msecnd.net/en-us/images/MH900408830.jpg
Guest blogger Ryan Birkett runs an IT asset management blog. He has helped many businesses – big and small – find an asset management solution that is just right for them.
Comments are closed.