Not many people particularly enjoy the thought of getting a divorce and all that goes with it. If you are faced with this situation, it is important that you hire a lawyer to represent you. Even if you and your spouse are on good terms and agree on how you will split up the property or divide custody of children, you need to have someone who will keep your best interests in mind. A lawyer can make sure that everything is done legally so that you will not have any problems later on.
Reasons to Hire a Divorce Lawyer
A divorce lawyer will do more than file the divorce papers for you. He will guide you through the entire process and make sure that it goes as smoothly as possible. There are a few specific reasons you should hire a divorce lawyer to represent you.
- Knowledge of the Law. Unless you have been through law school yourself, it is unlikely that you will know as much about the laws regarding divorce as an attorney does. A divorce lawyer is familiar with the steps that are necessary to take during the entire divorce process. If you try to go it alone, you could make serious mistakes that can cost you literally everything you have.
- Speed Up the Process. A lawyer who specializes in divorce can ensure that the divorce proceedings go as quickly as possible. Since she is well versed with the laws, she does not have to spend time studying up on particulars of the law like you would have to. This can help get things moved through quickly which is important when you are trying to move on with your life.
- Up to Date on Changes in the Law.Laws regarding divorce are always subject to change. A lawyer will stay up to date on these changes through a variety of different means, including continuing education and professional association memberships.
- Go to Bat for You. You can rely on your divorce attorney to have your best interests in mind. Divorce can have an effect on so many different aspects of your life including children, inheritances and retirement plans. Your lawyer will be able to advise you about what you have a legal right to and ensure that your interests are protected during negotiations.
If you are considering going through a divorce without a lawyer, you may want to rethink your decision. A divorce attorney can provide you with the protection and legal advice you need to navigate your way through a divorce.
- License: Creative Commons image source
David Scott writes informative articles on behalf of the Law Firm of Opton & Galton ,divorce lawyer specialists located in Portland Oregon. We have teamed up to help the people of Portland better understand divorce proceedings and how best to get through them peacefully.