Electrical malfunction is never a harmless thing. It either starts a fire shortage, increases the risk of electrocution or starts a household fire. At very best, it puts your appliances, your expensive, precious appliances, at risk. Either way, an electrical malfunction equals disaster. So, how do you prevent this disaster and prevent your home from its ramifications? It’s quite simple actually. First, you need to recognize the early signs of electric malfunction. Second, you need to learn how to properly respond to different situations, after diagnosing the problem. Here are some things to keep in mind.
Spotting electrical problems early on
The first task that you have to tackle is one of spotting electrical problems in a timely manner. Flickering lights and buzzing sounds are probably the signs that indicate imminent electrical failure the strongest. Then, you have signs like unfamiliar or funny odors, which might be coming from your power outlets or appliances. Keep in mind that clearly visible signs of physical damage may also be quite a problem. We’re talking about broken light switches and loose outlets, which seem far more harmless than they actually are. Lastly, keep in mind that electricity produces warmth, yet, this is something that needs to be closed off, confined and isolated. If you can feel warmth, something’s afoot.
Most common electrical problems
Sometimes, you should turn to statistics for help. Namely, in order to figure out what might malfunction next in your household, you might want to harness the power of statistics. Truth be told, you can never know for sure what will break down next, however, by knowing which parts of the grid get broken most frequently, you might get a good idea of what to expect. Circuit overload, electrical shocks and light switches not working properly are, by far, the most common electrical malfunctions in the average household. Along with circuit breaker tripping frequently and sags and dips in power, these two represent the majority minor electrical repairs.
Calling the professional
Unlike plumbing issues, where the biggest risk lies in getting wet, stinky or flooding the place (thus causing even greater damage) with DIY electrical repairs, your life will really be in danger. So, it’s far safer to just call the professional. According to experts behind Sparkys NOW, it’s not just about having the right tools. It’s also about having enough experience in the field and knowing all the right practices in order to safely tackle the issue. Not to mention that a DIY repair might be a lengthy effort, while a professional fix might get your home’s electrical grid up and running in a matter of minutes or hours.
Develop precautionary habits
Another thing you need to keep in mind are all sorts of precautionary habits. For instance, you shouldn’t plug in devices with damaged power cords and you definitely shouldn’t skip reading directions that come with your appliances. Keep in mind that while signs of trouble (burning marks and hotness to the touch) are easy to miss. In order to spot them before they cause serious trouble, you need to be actively looking for them. So, develop a habit of looking at the cord, touching your appliances from all sides and try to notice any signs of discoloration or sparks appearing.
Extension cords are not a perfect solution
One of the things that you definitely need to hear is the fact that extension cords are not a perfect solution. Unfortunately, seeing as how they’re cheaper than actually installing an electric outlet but the fact that it’s cheaper shouldn’t be the reason to compromise the safety of your entire home. Simply contact an electrician and have them install a new outlet. This way, you get a safer, permanent solution to your problem. In the long run, the investment really isn’t that expensive.
Heat-producing appliances are quite a hazard
There are several reasons why you need to be extra careful about heat-producing appliances like electrical heaters. First of all, they’re massive power consumers and when used with an extension cord (especially an inadequate extension cord) a malfunction is imminent. Also, the fact that they’re generating heat means that, in contact with the wrong kind of material, fire is imminent. Ideally, when not using the heater you should turn it off or, better yet, completely unplug it. You should also be very careful about what you place around the heater.
The very last thing worth keeping in mind is the fact that protecting your home from electrical malfunctions isn’t optional. Keeping your home safe is a top priority of any responsible homeowner. Even if there’s no property damaged and no inhabitants harmed, there’s still the issue of a high electricity bill or a repair that you could have easily avoided if you were just following the right course of action. The above-listed six tips should be quite helpful in this regard.